Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Advertising

I have always been fascinated by what limits can be reached and breached by a thinking and creative mind, especially in the field of advertising.... Now as i sit and silently observe the shit thrown to us in the form of ads nowadays (Right at the time u are having dinner, Mr RaviKiran pops up on ETV Kannada with "Harpic try maadideera???!!!"... no its not just that.. he has pictures of colourful shitholes, dirty ones, non dirty ones... the lot !!.... my fuming mom tells me that its only
at that time that they telecast that ad, the nasty sadists @ ETV kannada, she being quite an avid watcher of the soaps that appear on it), I cant help but wonder from time to time, the effort put into some brilliant and innovative advertising.... No, I am not referring to a falcon riding with a stupid looking emotionless guy, to some far off deserted mountain area, and finally the falcon landing on the outstretched arm of that idiotic moron and they finally tell me some name of a stupid bike.... nor am i referring to other blatant pleas of "our product is not selling... we WILL stoop to such low levels to get some ROI at least!!"

I was subject to an attempt at a brilliantly thought out advertising gimmick, until i realised what it actually was..... Me is sitting at coffee day chatting away, when this dude comes up to me with a bag and says "Excuse me sir" (pause) in that pause, i guessed him to be either a loan seller or survey guy or something ! ... Then to my surprise he says "I am from Bajaj, Apache our new bike sir.... Sir you are the winner of our "Coolest T-Shirt of the Day" contest for today... May i have ur name please?" ...... "And your telephone number?" ...."Thank you sir.... Here's your certificate" (with a nice lil smile)

Now by the time he asked me my phone number, I had a flash of what was going on, cos when he told me about the contest and me being the winner, there was a small sense of "hey!! cooool!!" inside me, with my mind working out the details. The details were : they give u a sense of elation and recognition, at the same time advertising their product !! A natural reaction towards any prize, or recognition is to show it to others right? ANd that is EXACTLY what they wanted !! job done !! Kudos for the thought process.....

7 comments:

Krishna said...

Wow, thats a great ad gig! Hey isn't apache from TVS? Also when did you go to coffee day and why didn't you call me? I couldve done with an Apache shirt!

Murali said...

yes sir apache is from TVS.... I had made an association of that bike with Pulsar(and hence Bajaj) in my head, cos i thot they had launched apache to do combat with pulsar hence the typo :D...

I actually went to coffee day with padmadam the other day and it was pretty late kano.... at around 7:30 pm i think we entered coffee day, so we thot u would have gone home...

Murali said...

Wow and i did not win an apache shirt... they just gave me a certificate... so now i guess its ok that u did not come alva? sari hoythu bidu...

Krishna said...

No probs, have fun guys

Anonymous said...

old strategy of adv.
good one though.
i like the harpic ad cos of its focus to the kakkas. they are selling it for wat its made.
u feeling gross is none of their busines alva?

Murali said...

Though their direct and honest approach is appreciable, their timing isnt... cos since ultimately they want to sell their product, what use is it, if people who dont like to watch the ad when they are eating, are force fed the ad? They will not like either the ad or the product or the ppl in the ad, and endup avoiding the ad alva?

Madhu said...

:-D tvs made ulloo of u.
girish's comment left me in splits.. :))