Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mementous Koala Bears v9.10

So that's how you do it!

You should run alsamixer to control volumes.

And then you probably need to run sudo alsa force-reload...that depends on ur config and whether alsa was loaded properly, to start with.

Turns out, they don't interact too well with each other...A lot of the pages I'd looked had asked me to get totally rid of pulse audio, and just single command helped me out : sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio

Pulse Audio's the other. I've, as I said earlier (later?), read thousands of posts on this one and I honestly dunno if this is better or ALSA is.

ALSA seems to be the more popular one...Stands for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. Just a music enabler for me. Sound Driver. Detects and interacts with sound cards. Blah.

I had read through, literally, tens of pages before getting a hang of what the hell was going on. Before changing the grub menu n gettin the right kernel, I'd had more severe errors, as in my sound card wasn't even getting detected. Now that it was getting detected, i just had to get it activated. Looks like Ubuntu comes with two primary sound systems : ALSA and Pulse Audio. (You're probably getting a hang of it by now)

Turns out I'd the wrong kernel loading all along!!! Some guy on some forum, apart from admitting the fact that he was stupid, showed me the way!

I boot in the first time next morning, and the sound's not working!!!! Bein a musical guy, I JUST CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT MUSIC!! And of course all the videos...What the hell!? Google is ur friend :)

Recently I decided to take the plunge and give Karmic Koala a try (hogli maade bidana anta). It took all of 5 hours and 1.3 GB and me waking up at 3 am in the morning to check whether it had completed (started only at 9 :P ), but it did complete...Just shut the bleddy machine down and slept off....

Hello unsuspecting readers of my blog,
Today you've been sucked into a reverse tech post! Not only are tech, Linuksy things hard to follow as it is, I've made u go through the story all ulta (wide screen and dolby surround :P)
Thank you and have a good day and hope you guys learnt something :D

Now you'll probably try to read bottom up...Leave comments about the loopholes...I will just pick the spinach stuck between my teeth lazily with a fine sharp wooden toothpick and loff at ur indignation!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There are no loopholes :P

Murali said...

yay! thankoooo :D

sheetal said...

this koala bitch wont let me re-install adobe flash. it says its there already, but wait.. it isnt! aarrghhh