Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Stupid

STUPID. This is a word used for broad spectrum denigration. But when a discerning text uses its Sanskrit equivalent -- moodha or moorkha -- an exploration is in order. The Gita qualifies it as reverse perception -- to draw conclusions contrary to the logic of reasoning is to be plain stupid.
Homo sapiens are expected to think first, think straight, then decide and act. Most of us would like to be persuaded that we do. And yet...

Let us take things that can give us happiness. -- a juicy list of bank balances, exciting projects, farm villas, delectable food, company or music, plum postings. But that vice-chancellorship for which I lobbied became vapid when my collegaue bagged a gubernatorial assignment and the long awaited cruise in the Caribbean turned out to be an unmitigated curse since I kept throwing up.

Fulfilled desires often do not leep their part of the bargain and bring joy as they expected, or that joy evaporates much too soon -- making the appetite turn to fresh desires adn fresher frustrations. To depend on desires for happiness seems a ver dicey proposition. Worse, innumerable variables of the world then control my happiness and lord it over me.

A closer look at the bilateral dynamics between me and the object of my desire may help. If happiness is not in the object then, logically, the only other locus for it can be me, myself. It is MY quality that I bounce off the exhibits of the world and call it happiness acquired; nothing can give me happiness. Logically, thus, happiness is not acquired, it is my own self, my own nature( that is why I am uncomfortable being unhappy). The world only offers pegs to hang it on. I can decide to festoon every peg in sight and make life a royal celebration.

To deny this logic and to feel dependant on anything for happiness is a reversal of logical understanding, and hence "stupid"; to beg for happiness from the world and its paraphernalia would be stupider still, and to make one's life acquisition-centric turns out to be stupidity par excellence.

Stupidity, thus, indicates terminology of discernment, highlighting risks that threaten our status as human beingts -- for having been provided with intellect, the option of stupidity is not open to us !


- SHASHI MISHRA

No comments: